This adventurous program leads us to tranquil lakes and wild rivers as well as treeless arctic hills and forests of Finnish West-Lapland in the surroundings of Pallas-Yllästunturi National Park. During the tour, we experience and learn not only canoeing but also nature, local culture, and way of living in the wilderness of Lapland formerly and in the old times.
Program in a nutcell
- Guided hiking and canoeing week in Finnish Lapland
- Program duration: 8 days / 7 nights, 3 canoeing day, 3 hiking days
- Difficulty: Moderate
- Main guiding language is English, group size 6 – 12 persons
- Price 940 € / person (incl. Vat)
Programback to top
- Day 1 – Arrival day. Transfer (45 min) from Kittilä Airport to accommodation by fishy Jerisjärvi Lake. After dinner introduction into the week program and overnight stay in rooms for 2 persons.
- Day 2 – On the first canoeing day, we paddle on the peaceful clean water of lake Jerisjärvi, surrounded by majestic fells – “Tunturi” in Finnish. We paddle around little Islands of the lake and get experience before canoeing on Ounasjoki River. Lunch break at the shore of an Island. In the evening sauna, and dinner. The day distance by canoes is ca. 10 km.
- Day 3 -After getting a touch to canoeing on the lake we are ready for a bit bigger challenges. We pack our things for 3 days long journey starting with a bus transfer to a Lappish Village of Hetta (ca. 90 km). Hetta village locates on the shores of Ounasjärvi Lake, which is the source of River Ounasjoki. Our river journey starts on peaceful slowly streaming waters towards faster wild waters. We take our lunch break on campfire the shore of Ounasjoki. Sauna, dinner and overnight stay in Ketomella wilderness hut. Day distance is ca. 28 km.
- Day 4 – Today we hike in the treeless hilly areas of Pallas-Yllästunturi National Park. We will climb to the little hut of Tappuri, we catch the silence on the shores of Hietajärvi Lake. After a lunch break, we will hike back to our cabin in Ketomella. The day distance is 22 km.
- Day 5 – From Ketomella we continue with canoes along the River Ounas to the direction of village Raattama. We stay overnight in Niemi on the river shore. Sauna and evening meal. The day distance is ca. 25 km.
- Day 6 -From Raattama we hike to Pallastunturi Fell. The day distance is 17 km in fell areas. There is a car transfer from Pallas to our overnight Place by Jerisjärvi Lake. Sauna and dinner.
- Day 7 -Car transfer in the morning to our starting point of Pallastunturi. We hike from Pallastunturi about 16 km to the shores of Lake Jerisjärvi.
Sauna and evening meal.
- Day 8 – Departure day. After breakfast transfer to Kittilä airport and the travel back home starts.
Total canoeing distance on lakes and rivers 63 km in 3 days, hiking distance 55 km in 3 days.
What is included
- Guidance and guide’s services
- Rent and transportation of the equipment: (Indian canoes for 2 people, floating vests, paddles)
- Bus transportation according to the program
- Full board as mentioned in the program: breakfast, picnic lunch, evening meal, accommodation (hut accommodation with a sleeping bag – 2 nights, cottage accommodation with linen)
- Transportation for the luggage during the program
- Airport transfer from/to Kittilä Airport (KTT)
- Additional nights in Rauhala (full board), 88 € / night
Photosback to top
Book a scheduled tripback to top
- few places
- fully booked
Terms and conditionsback to top
Health, safety and insuranceAny medical conditions (such as diabetes, heart disease or epilepsy) or other issue which could influence performance during the trip as well as special diets should be informed to the organiser well before the tour. Take possible personal medication and prescriptions packed in a waterproof package. We recommend that you take an travel insurance with a cancellation cover for your flights and holiday. With an European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) you can receive necessary medical treatment for free or at a reduced cost in Finland, however the card does not render travel insurance obsolete.
How to get thereWe start our tour from Rauhala Village in Kittilä, about 30 minutes drive from Kittilä Airport (KTT). We can arrange transfer from any flight arriving to or departing from Kittilä. Rauhala is located ca. 30 km from Levi Ski Resort and ca. 40 km from Ylläs Ski Resort (Äkäslompolo Village). There are several ways to get to Rauhala.
Price and reservation informationDeposit (reservation fee) is 200 € / person . Deposit is primarily paid with credit card on booking. Final payment is due 12 days prior to tour start and it can be paid with credit card or bank transfer (IBAN) . After you have reserved flight or other tickets, please send us arrival/departure times and flight codes, so we can pick you up right time from the airport or inform about arrival to Rauhala. Please inform us also any health/medical conditions or special diets, we should take into consideration. If the passenger cancels the booking for no particular reason (see Package Travel Act, § 15) at least 12 days before the departure date the cancellation cost is equal to booking fee. Later cancelations are assessed the entire program fee . Office fee is 75€/person (in case of changes or cancellations defined in Package Travel Act). The company (Netgalleria Oy - Feel The Nature Treks ) is a package holiday company registered by Finnish Competition and Consumer Authority and it has lodged security against advance payments for travel. This tour is a package defined in Finnish Package Travel Act. For more information: http://www.kkv.fi/en/ . Due to the weather conditions and other circumstances changes to the program are possible.
Equipment and clothingback to top
- Outdoor clothes and shoes suitable also for windy and rainy conditions
- Windproof jacket with hood, hat, scarf, gloves
- Socks – woolen/synthetic socks (optionally teamed with a liner)
- Extra (long sleeve/long pants) second layer (synthetic/wool) for cooler days
- Spare clothes
- Comfortable clothing for evenings
- Backpack for day trips, drink bottle (Thermos bottle)
- Insect repellent/insect hat
- Sunglasses, sun lotion
- Toiletries, swimming suit
- Personal medications, basic first aid kit, blister kit (athletic tape, Compeed)
- Camera, notebook